Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Secret Pal 12 Question 10

Which Olympic event would best describe your knitting/knitting style?

Well, I've already likened my Ravelympics events to swimming events. Let's explore the analogy:

While a swimmer (knitter) may have several different strokes (types of projects) in which they're proficient, it's still just swimming -- on your back or on your front (knit, purl). Sometimes you sprint (knit a pair of baby booties), sometimes you you're in it for the 800m haul (knit an elaborate lace shawl). Sometimes you even do all your strokes at once in the IM (lace AND cables in a sweater).

And you may be able to wow the world with new fastsuit technology (Addi Turbo needles) or develop a kick-ass flip turn (knitting backwards), but when it comes right down to it, it's all just basically kick and stroke (knit and purl).

[SUMMARY: And by you, I mean "Michael Phelps."]

Says the girl with 14 projects on the needles at any given time.

One thing I do want to know: where's my world record line?

[SUMMARY: Oh, the delusions you'll have...]

*************
Cockaigne - Black Pheonix Alchemy Lab§

Marin says: It smells like heavy, sweet, creamy coffee right off the bat and mellows quickly into something a little spicy -- like nutmeg. Or mace. And it lasted a long time, as oils do. It reminds me of Miskatonic University, but not quite as buttery and lush and smelling of books.

BPAL says: The weather is always mild, the wine flows freely, sex is readily available,# and all people enjoy eternal youth. The Land of Plenty, also called Luilekkerland – the Lazy, Luscious Land: milk$ and honey, sweet cakes†† and wine.

Hans says: "It smells spicy. Like cinnamon and nutmeg mixed together."

Later, I told Hans the BPAL accounting of it mentioned milk and honey cakes‡‡ and we decided honey cakes would be a lot like sopaipillas and we could see how that might involve cinnamon and nutmeg. I will admit I did get the honey once I read that and the perfume had rounded down off the coffee a little.


FOOTNOTE (crossed): Don't you love the world record line?

FOOTNOTE (double-crossed): Yeah, I got excited too. Then it became an educational experience.

§FOOTNOTE (swerved): BPAL always sends an extra or two. I fantasise they look at my past purchases and say, "Hey, here's a girl who really needs some Cockaigne in her life."

FOOTNOTE (paragraphed): I love my wrists, but I'm not *in love* with my wrists.

#FOOTNOTE (pounded): I'm calling my travel agent.

††FOOTNOTE (ddouble-ccrossed): Is that anything like honey cakes?

‡‡FOOTNOTE (doubble-crossssed): I was going from memory. Tells you something about my memory.

No comments: