Monday, August 18, 2008

It's Raining, It's Pouring

Despite the rain, I didn't get much knitting done Saturday.

You'd think the dark, raininess would be the perfect backdrop to a day of cosying up in the recliner with a ball of string, male swimmers on the TiVi and maybe a hot toddy of some sort.

Just look at that knitting weather! And this is the sunniest it got all day!




[SUMMARY: Yes, I'm really talking about the weather.]

And the sharpest among you might put together the reason there was so little knitting: I was at work. The lack of urgency by those providing the work has created panic on the back end§ and I was in the office on Saturday.

And Sunday.

And that's OK. Once in awhile, I like to do something that makes me feel really self-righteous like work on Saturday. And Sunday.

I always be sure to send a couple of emails out on the company account so people *know* I was working on Saturday.And Sunday.

[SUMMARY: There's a Loverboy re-mix in there somewhere.]

Anyway, despite all the work, it was a refreshingly knitterly day.

I started out by going to the grand opening of the brand new Origins store in Cherry Creek. I'm not a subscriber to the Cult of Origin,# but they sent coupons in the mail -- one for $25 and one for a free medium whatever-you-want-to-drink from their coffee shop.

No purchase necessary.

As I drove in on empty streets, I figured the rainy weather might keep the crowds down.

Ha!

I got my tea and wandered around a little. The crowds made it too miserable to do any real power-shopping, which is good for me. I probably could've talked myself into a couple hundred dollars' worth of products if I'd had the time to lollygag around the store and talk to the nice salespeople.

So that was one nice thing. I got my $22.50 tube of moisturising body wash†† and stood in line.

And stood in line.

And stood in line.

[SUMMARY: Never underestimate the power of a free $25.]

And started to wonder if I was in danger of getting a parking ticket in the 2-hour space I'd nabbed.

And started thinking I should have called Tani to see if she wanted to stand in line because these things are tolerable with good company.

And started to think about giving up. At my per-hour wage, $25 didn't seem like that big a draw anymore. But there's that point where you feel you've invested too much time, or you're sure the registers are going to speed up any time or maybe the woman with the four kids is going to get tired of the whining and just GO...‡‡

Then the lady in line behind me started talking to me. Small talk. Then I held her place while she went and got some tea. Then she held my place while I went to the bathroom.

Would you believe we were halfway through the line before she said, "I'd much rather be home knitting right now."

I said, "Me too!"

Then she told me how she was getting errands done in the morning so she could sit in front of the Olympics in the afternoon, and I told her I was heading to work and when I told her I'm in the oil business, it turns out she's from Oklahoma and worked in the industry for quite some time.

Then she said, kinda timidly, "Were you just joking when you said you'd rather be knitting?"

"Oh, no. I'd *much* rather be knitting!"

So we talked about knitting and the hours passed pleasantly until we got to the front of the line.%

Isn't the world a marvelous place sometimes?

*************
Omanthe Yunnan - Hermes

Marin says: So light.

There's some very light floral and fruit, but I can't tell what kind. It smells a little like carnation, but not as cold, and with something a tiny bit deepter and woodier on top -- not that this is a woody scent, but maybe leaves. Or bamboo. Which is what I think of every time I think of a watery wood.

It's incredibly light, but that very light cloud gusts in every now and then so I know it's still there. When I nuzzle my wrists, there's almost nothing, yet there's... something. I'm not sure if I'm in a zen place or I just don't know what the hell I'm talking about.

The Perfumed Court says: Tea, flowers$ and fruit.$ Osmanthe Yunnan is smooth and tart, with a lasting tea note that is perfect for occasions when you want an original perfume that is not heavy, but lasts.

Hans says: I like that one. It's light. It's... I can't put my finger on it. It's refreshing.§§


FOOTNOTE (crossed): And you'd be right.

FOOTNOTE (double-crossed): 'Cause, y'know... you'd notice that was taken out my office window.

§FOOTNOTE (swerved): I am the back end. I'm always the back end. Some day, when I grow up, I want to be the front end.

FOOTNOTE (paragraphed): Passive-aggressive, anyone?

#FOOTNOTE (pounded): I didn't know there was one until I was invited onto their mothership.

††FOOTNOTE (ddouble-ccrossed): I don't know. It was an impulse. It was free.

‡‡FOOTNOTE (doubble-crossssed): And by "you," I mean, "I."

%FOOTNOTE (percented): It also didn't hurt that Origins people kept bringing around Origins things to keep us entertained while we waited. There was the hand massage and the spearmint refresher stuff and these:





A trial-size tube of their most popular product, a sachet (it's zippered! I can use it again!) filled with lavender and roses and a blackberry bran muffin. That's all that's left of the blackberry bran muffin. I was hungry when I got to the office.

$FOOTNOTE (right on the money!): Ha! Got one!

§§FOOTNOTE (the world keeps turning): I'm giving Hans credit for that -- tea is refreshing, isn't it?

No comments: