Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Fashioning Felt


{Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum via Selectism}


On display through September 7.

[SUMMARY: And the bleat goes on.]

I think it's also worth noting that the Cooper-Hewitt also has a children's wallpaper and book exhibit§ going on, even if it isn't so much in keeping with today's knitblog theme.

*************

Kapsule Woody - Karl Lagerfeld

Marin says: This stays very close to the skin, worth noting both because sometimes you don't want to overwhelm a business meeting or a movie queue and because things smell different when you lay your nose right on them than they do if you can get a respectable distance.

The initial tangle of prickly-dry cedar and bitter citrus smelled more like lemon Pine-Sol than it probably should have and I think that's because my nostrils were sealed to my wrists to get more than a vague pleasantness.

Actually, I'd say that's the hallmark of this one for me: a couple of inches away, it's a slightly sweetened woody haze, but up close it's woody and maybe raisiny and seems to have a touch of vetiver. The overall effect is like a tawny port.

It's cosy and sophisticated, but with the lack of sillage it probably won't get any outside attention.#

Karl Lagerfeld†† says: Noble, rich and mysterious - all the refinement of cedarwood$ magnified with velvety plum$ and dense, dark moss.

Hans says: It smells like grapefruit. Like a Mad Dog. What are those things? Greyhound!‡‡


FOOTNOTE (crossed): That's supposed to be a funny sheep joke. Y'know... for the knitblog thing.

FOOTNOTE (double-crossed): Because beyond all the little things you know about me, I have a pop-up book problem too. So of COURSE I think this is worth noting.

§FOOTNOTE (swerved): Including several pop-up books. You can even see movies of the pop-up books.

FOOTNOTE (paragraphed): Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... there's this sort of salty smell that I find smells a little like Play-doh that I've been associating with vetiver. Suddenly I'm wondering if it's actually moss. I'm clearly a work in progress.

#FOOTNOTE (pounded): This is not an idictment. It's actually a very good thing sometimes (see: business meeting) when you don't want to clobber those around you. It's also like having a warm little secret all your own. Maybe I'm projecting.

$FOOTNOTE (on the money!): I'm claiming "raisiny" as close enough to "velvety plum."

††FOOTNOTE (ddouble-ccrossed): I can't tell you how much I hate this website -- it's one of those webmaster playgrounds where they focused way too hard on style and forgot all about the end user. On the other hand, there's a slidy-squares puzzle of Karl Lagerfeld if you click in the right place.

‡‡FOOTNOTE (doubble-crossssed): I had already offered up "bulldog." Hans says we should be bartenders, we're so good at this.

No comments: