Thursday, May 21, 2009

Looking at the Scars in the Sty†

So I have this sty in my right eye.

It's not big and gross. Nobody else can see it. Mostly I can feel it and my eye is gummed up every morning.

[SUMMARY: I am NOT gross.]

But I went to look up sties on WebMD or MediWeb.§ Among the causes? Stress and improper eyelid hygiene.#

Let me repeat: IMPROPER EYELID HYGIENE.

Am I the only person in the world who's never thought about *proper* eyelid hygiene? I thought those things pretty much took care of themselves.†† I mean... don't rub day-old meat in your eye, sure, but... PROPER eyelid hygiene?‡‡

[SUMMARY: There are more things in heaven and earth...§§]

Like I don't have enough to worry about.

And me with new hobbies to nurture along, not to mention the old hobbies to maintain and grow.

Later today: Sex and Scent from Bonk and Kim.¶¶


FOOTNOTE (crossed): I can't take credit for that line. When I was ten, Dad had a sty and Mom, being a nurse, was interested in it to a frightening degree. During her nightly examination, he said, "How romantic, sitting here with you, looking at the scars in the sty." I thought it was the cleverest thing I'd ever heard. It still ranks up there.

FOOTNOTE (double-crossed): I feel it's very important you all know I'm not all diseased and red and bumpy and oozing. It's a dainty sty, befitting my dainty self.

I can hear you laughing.

§FOOTNOTE (swerved): As you do.

FOOTNOTE (paragraphed): I actually went in assuming stress would be a possible cause, since my head's been a hair below "explode" (heheheheh) for two weeks. Mostly I was seeking vindication.

#FOOTNOTE (pounded): This is a term that is nearly impossible for me to say. I can't get out of an "improper eyegiene" rut.

††FOOTNOTE (ddouble-ccrossed): You know... like cats.

‡‡FOOTNOTE (doubble-crossssed): For the curious, the online medical experts suggest you put a warm compress on your eyes every day for fifteen minutes. Not to get rid of a sty, mind you (though that's one of the things you can do for a sty), but in the name of Proper Eyelid Hygiene.

§§FOOTNOTE (the mind spins!): More Shakespeare! We are a literary marvel here at the Rickety Blog!

¶¶FOOTNOTE (Bonk Bonk): Srsly.

No comments: