Tuesday, May 12, 2009

BSJ for Everyone!

That's what she said.

This has been all uploaded and ready to go for over a month. Because of my understandable postalphobia, I have a really hard time getting stuff to the post office to ship.

[SUMMARY: Inability to get to post office is related to blog photos. Somehow.]

BECAUSE one of these is for Sarah and her new arrival and I didn't want to post it before she got it.§




As always, the buttons are what really makes the Baby Surprise Jacket.




Then there's the one for my future stepsister-in-law, who decided not to find out the sex of the baby so I went unconventional for the colours.




And got some very happy buttons to go with it.#




So for my dear friends who are new mothers, I hope you had a very happy first Mother's Day and I didn't mean you†† when I said I hate Mother's Day.

*************
Le Rivage des Syrtes (formerly PN1‡‡ or PdN1) - Patricia de Nicolaï for Parfums MDCI

Marin says: Now this has an aldehyde I can live with.

Most aldehydes are overwhelming to my delicate palate§§ and leave me thinking "Aqua Net." This one is bright and light and puts a fine synthetic net over a fruity floral.

I can't quite pick the fruit -- it's not exactly citrus, not exactly peach, not exactly mango. But it's definitely fruity. Perhaps like orange blossom, where the fruit hides in the flower. The flowers are strong and white and sweet like tropical blossoms -- maybe a dash of tuberose. And there's an edgy, slightly acrid depth that I'm starting to associate with ylang ylang.

As this dries down, everything mellows nicely, and there's a definite tinge of sweet oranges in the mix, complimented by a clean, clear tuberose. The aldehyde is nearly gone and there's a delicate golden depth -- amber -- that I find sophisticated and enchanting.

So my love affair with MDCI continues. They are so very French, to be sure, and so very well-crafted and slightly unusual.

This one is the brightest of the MDCI group so far and may be the spring/summer scent -- or one of them¶¶ -- that I've been looking for.

LuckyScent says: The top notes or [sic] orange, pineapple and galbanum combine in an unexpectedly radiant composition which fans of Nicolai will recognize as very much in her style. With the precious fruits secured as cargo, the search continues. Our hero gathers an abundance of heady florals— precious ylang, orange blossom and tuberose designed to delight any recipient of such a magnificent bouquet— and tucks them into a basket he has lined with grasses in order to protect them. Finally, the sailor’s attention turns to the most precious and rare essences– musks, incense and ambergris– eternal mementos of his exotic travels and worthy of none save the one who waits for him alone, praying for his safe return. A complex scent that evokes the bitter and the sweet, the tenderness and the wistful longing of romance.

Notes: sweet orange essence,$ pineapple, galbanum, ylang ylang,$ tuberose,$ orange blossom absolute,$ incense, ambergris,$ vanilla, musk

Hans says: Mmmm. I get, like, honey. Like a sweet honey. Like a flower honey. Honeysuckle. Call it honeysuckle. I think my talents are waning.


FOOTNOTE (crossed): This is all my cousin Joe and I say to each other. It makes Thanksgiving really, really funny (to us) and made Mother's Day bearable (to me), but I think it irritates our grandmother.

FOOTNOTE (double-crossed): I hear you laughing.

§FOOTNOTE (swerved): There's a protocol here, you know.

FOOTNOTE (paragraphed): Which is both liberating and limiting, knitting-wise.

#FOOTNOTE (pounded): If future stepnephew-in-law is half as happy as these buttons, he will have a fairytale childhood... "fairytale" in the modern-day connotation, not like Hansel and Gretel.

††FOOTNOTE (ddouble-ccrossed): For the record, FSSIL went into labour at about 1:00 Sunday morning and had the baby Sunday night. It's a boy. And Sarah had hers three weeks ago. Also a boy, but we already knew that.

‡‡FOOTNOTE (doubble-crossssed): Mine says "PN1" on the bottle because it was still in the working title stage when I got my set of MDCI samples. I consider this to be like my Metallica: Ride the Lightning tour shirt, which proves I got in on the ground floor. We, the uncool, clinging to the symbols of our occasional accidental hipness...

§§FOOTNOTE (tendrils and wafts and other delicate stuff): You're laughing again.

¶¶FOOTNOTE (arms thrown open): Why limit myself?

No comments: