Friday, January 15, 2010

Guess Where I Am

First clue: usually I play this game on Twitter, but I'm in a place with no cell service, no 3G... T-Mobile radio silence.*

That's right, Billings, Montana. Trying to fix something I broke five years ago because I sucked then, but I don't suck quite so much now.**

[SUMMARY: Pride is a sin. I am a saint-in-waiting.]

Also? This computer doesn't recognise CTRL-C for copy or CTRL-V for paste,*** so I can't get my normal**** footnotes on the page.

I really like Billings,***** but I'll be glad to get back to Denver where the cell phones work and the footnotes come with pretty crosses****** and swirls.*******


*FOOTNOTE (one star): This happened the last time I came to Billings. And the time before that. The definition of insanity...

**FOOTNOTE (two stars): When the person you respect most in your field, ever, tells you you screwed up, tells you you're good at what you do, tells you you screwed up, tells you you're better now than you were when you screwed up, tells you everybody screws up, but you definitely screwed up, but you shouldn't beat yourself up about it... you spend a LOT of time beating yourself up about it. I suck.

***FOOTNOTE (three stars): Yet somehow recognises CTRL-B for bold. This is the most confusing alphabet book ever.

****FOOTNOTE (four stars): OK, so there's nothing normal about my footnotes.

*****FOOTNOTE (five stars): More fantastic restaurants per capita than Manhattan and an art museum that hosts the kind of collections only old oil money can provide.

******FOOTNOTE (six stars): I'm a saint-in-training. I *need* my crosses. Besides, isn't it a little confusing when I use the asterisks for emphasis and you're off looking for the footnote that goes with "need"?

*******FOOTNOTE (seven beautiful stars... MWAHAHAHA! *bats**lightning*): How'm I s'posed to get my swerve on if there's no swerve button on this stupid computer?

6 comments:

Laurie (Moo!) said...

I'm still biting my tongue over "I don't suck quite so much now".

Anonymous said...

"Crosses and Swirls" --- that ought to be the name of some business. But what could it be. . .

Red said...

And you made it back in time for the game. Thanks for the ticket!

Marin (AntiM) said...

I think the "suck" comment goes nicely with the flagellation of previous comments.

We're so twelve, here in the underground.

Crosses and Swirls... goth dance studio?

You're welcome! Getting back in time for the game was key... even if the knitters were scattered to the four winds.

nathan said...

Hmmm, from the date of the last entry, I'm guessing that you're not anywhere near this blog anymore . . . ;)

Marin (AntiM) said...

It's funny 'cause it's true.