1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
Merino, BFL, Cormo, silk, bamboo, cashmere and various combinations thereof. I love alpaca in theory, but it's too warm for anything but maybe accessories. I'm pretty much over big, fuzzy, synthetic novelty yarns and only buy them for very specific projects. Generally, plant fibres hurt my hands when they're not mixed with lovely wool.
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
On the floor, in a box, on a table, under the chair, in the packages they came in, inside a project bag, in the UFOs they support...
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
Mom taught me almost exactly 31 years ago. I'd say I'm intermediate/advanced -- I *can* knit anything (I'm convinced), but I'm not so much a process knitter that I want to knit difficult things just to prove I can.
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Nope. If that really bothers you, I can cobble something together.
5. What's your favorite scent?
Cedar. Lime. Clove. Cardamom. Numerous others. In candles, pumpkin spice and wintery, piney things. It can be a mood thing, too.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Sort of. I'm getting pickier all the time -- dark chocolate, real caramels and salt mixed with sweet or chocolate tempered with nuts are my druthers. ETA: And, thanks to the Dracula swap package discussed in tomorrow's post, I remember how much I like those old-fashioned striped stick candies in all the cool flavours -- raspberry, peppermint, root beer, grape, cinnamon, orange, cherry...
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I putter through various hobbies as the mood strikes me - origami, stained glass, things with beads, warm glass, sewing. I do not, however, spin.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
Not country. Not jazz. Rush, Neil Diamond, Blue Oyster Cult and The Sisters of Mercy are probably in my top twenty favourite all-time acts, if that gives you an idea. I can play almost music format.
9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
Purple, chocolate brown, rich red, almost any green. On the other hand, yellow. There are very few yellows I like -- and I like orange, but only dark orange tending toward the red.
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I live with a cat. Just me and the cat. You had to make me say that out loud, didn't you?
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
In order of frequency: Scarves, mittens, hats (every day it's cold, when it's really cold, when I'm going to be outside a long time and I don't care that my hair will turn into a dandelion clock, respectively). Never, ever ponchos. I have bad poncho memories from childhood.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Socks, scarves, lace.
13. What are you knitting right now?
Sockse, scarves, lace.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Circulars -- I rarely even use DPNs, as I'm very fond of the two circular needles thing. Generally I prefer aluminum and I kinda hate plastic.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
17. How old is your oldest UFO?
Very, very old. At least a couple of years. Maybe more.
18. What is your favorite holiday? What winter holiday do you observe?
Halloween. I observe Christmas, but only in the crassest consumer way. Well, not entirely true -- it's the best time of year for family togetherness, but I'm not religous by any stretch.
19. Is there anything that you collect?
Skulls, orchids, dragonflies, bath stuff, pigs, perfume samples, dust.
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I subscribe to Interweave Knits and Piecework. I have a ton of books and buy many of the big ones as they come out (perhaps I should have included "knitting books" on the last question). There is one pattern I'm itching for, but because it isn't available for download (and I can't see paying $5 to ship a $5 pattern), I haven't got it for myself yet: the Playing in the Leaves pattern set from Heartstrings.
21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
Not that I can think of. Lace knitting is pretty satisfying as process knitting for me. OH! I may have lied. Knitting with beads is intriguing (have you seen Jung at Heart's work?) but I'm somewhere between intimidated and unmotivated to actually do anything about it.
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
Yes I am. I don't know -- I'm a Women's 8 1/2 long.
23. When is your birthday?
June 27. You're off the hook.
24. Are you on Ravelry? If so, what's your ID?
Yep! TheAntiM, oddly enough.