Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Lake! A Story in Pictures

Hello Lake. Hello cabin.




Oh, cabin, how I love your multiple choice selection of beds, your kitchenette, your running water...




...but I love your air conditioning most of all.




Heaven on a bed means different things to different people.




*************

Junie Mae's for breakfast is a must.




Junie Mae's has wonderful food, including (but not limited to) biscuits and gravy, migas and...





...JAM! Homemade!

*************

Dino prints make the walkin' beach go 'round. Mary, as her father says, is "cute as socks on a squirrel."§




Mary is well-equipped both in playthings and playmates.


Mary and Mom (Connie)


And she shares her bounty. The orphaned turtle we found washed up on the beach ended up with his own amusement park ride.


Does it look like someone buried Dolly Parton here?

And a architecturally marvelous turtle kiva. When I asked what the hole in one room was, Mary said, simply, "Hot tub."



*************

Sometimes it's a little cloudy and you can just hang out.


Mary's dad (Shanny)

Or float on already.


Kevin and Linda


When the sun beats down, we raise the roof.



Sun worshipers bask.#


Bobbi and Cami


Children play.

Mary and Drew

*************
Trust me, you don't get a lot of this with Mary.




Drew wore Mary out and now turns his attentions to Paulie.



*************

Connie and Shanny say, "This doesn't suck."



*************

A golf cart rides off into the sunset.$





*************

Let the fire pit begin!




S'mores, anyone?


Mary and Connie

*************

Bye bye Lake. See you next year.



*************

By the way, I left out the sixteen-photo series on feet in the mud.%


FOOTNOTE (crossed): I know you can hardly believe this is where I went with "heaven on a bed," but there was a shipment (or two) of yarn that showed up just before I left.

FOOTNOTE (double-crossed): Just for you, Red.

§FOOTNOTE (swerved): Mary was born on my birthday -- almost deliberately. Connie had a scheduled C-section and in her choice of four or five dates, chose my birthday.

FOOTNOTE (paragraphed): Shanny said to Mary, "I'm sorry more grown-ups don't play like Kevin does." Mary turned to me and said, "You're like that, Marin. You play with me." Break my heart...

#FOOTNOTE (pounded): Bobbi is Drew's mom. Cami is Paulie's wife. For those of you scoring at home.

$FOOTNOTE (moneyed): Golf carts everywhere. The first day, as we headed back for dinner, we found a row of parked golf carts, their occupants watching the sunset. It looked so odd; it really was a WTF moment.


%FOOTNOTE (percented): Specifically, my feet in the mud. You're welcome.

No comments: