Tuesday, October 2, 2007

All Better

Any Padres fans out there?

WOOT!

Welcome to Tuesday. Before I soothe your weary knitter's soul with pictures of yarn an a half-FO, allow me to make one last play for your sympathy after the last few weeks of long work days and 5-fucking-30 in the ayem days and such.

This is what I worked:



I saw every document in every box and wrote a little ditty about each well associated with all those documents. I caught errorsand put together prospect packages.

It was a LOT of work.

OK. You can stop sympathising now. I'm all better.

[SUMMARY: You just skipped the entire first section of this post, didn't you?]

Now let me make you all better.

Yarn!




I believe I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I went a little crazy over a dishcloth pattern.This was how I discovered Herrschner's is not quite as craptastic as I'd always believed. Anyway, these will someday§ be lovely hand-knit cloths.

[SUMMARY: I am a sucker.]

I decided to knit We Call Them Pirates.# I decided to knit it out of something comparable to the pattern yarn from Sylvia's House of Fuzzy Crack. So I ventured into the Innernets to do my due diligence, get the particulars so I could substitute with style.

Turns out the Dalegarn Hauk from the pattern is treated with TEFLON for water and wind resistance.

[SUMMARY: I am a sucker for yarn technology.]




Many of you may already have seen the next yarn at Red's place.

I have no fear of redundancy.

If nothing else, Red doesn't talk as much as I do and didn't liken deadly sins to Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.

Keep reading. You'll get there.

This is the second installment in the Seven Deadly Sins Sock Club. I'm far happier with the colours in this shipment than the wishy-washy ones in the last. And it's been educational.

The lovely red-purple is Lust, and I'm all about that. I'm pretty sure my lust is all reddish and purple.

However, I was a little skeptical about Sloth being blue. Turns out, light blue is the colour classically associated with Sloth.

Of course, it also turns out orange is the colour of Gluttony and red is the colour of Wrath, so there's very little consistency in the colour selection at Fearless Fibers, but how else do you pick what colour Sloth is?

In my head, the poor girl is looking at the mutt-brown she used for gluttony and saying, "I should have used that for Sloth.†† Now what am I going to do?"

So like any good denizen of the twenty-first century, she Googled and found myriad references‡‡ to Sloth as light blue.

Anyway, it's a pretty blue and I like it, even if it doesn't make me feel particularly slothful.

Here's another thought (apparently, the presence of sin makes me think): How do you suppose she decided which pairs to send? Lust and Sloth: two great tastes that taste great together?

Hey, you got your Sloth in my Lust!

Well you got your Lust in my Sloth!

[SUMMARY: This is how my mind works. And you read the whole thing. Who's the sucker now?]




At Alpacas on the Rocks last weekend,§§ I got this stuff:




I had the conscious thought that it would knit up REALLY FAST, so it would be good to have some around in case I needed to whip up a scarf at the last minute for someone. Kinda like the trick of keeping cookie dough in your freezer so you can always whip up some homemade cookies for guests.¶¶

[SUMMARY: Martha Stewart got nothin' on me.]

And if I never find a worthy recipient, I'll just pet it and love it... it's baby alpaca, after all, and soft as a bunny.

The Sparkle Socks I started so long ago (see: Club Level Beverage Station... that would be one of the earlier games the Rox won) are nearly due. It's a good thing I work better under deadlines.

I finished the first one last night. It's just a basic sock pattern, but I went all rogue knitter and added some cables## and some calf shaping††† and now I feel just like Grumperina.

Except that I will finish both socks.






[SUMMARY: Delusions of grandeur...]




Crane truck!

[SUMMARY: It pretends to be about the knitting, but it's always about the cranes.]

Happy Tuesday, ev'ry-bahdy!


FOOTNOTE (crossed): One half of a finished pair, that is. Not one half of a whole. Well, it is one half of a whole, but the math was really easy 'cause it's socks and that means one sock is done, rather than "I'm going to knit a six-foot scarf and, oh, let me measure... lessee... aught plus aught, carry the aught... yes, it looks to be three feet."

You're so glad you stuck around for the footnotes.

FOOTNOTE (double-crossed): The people I'm working with love me. Twenty-seven emails a day of, "Please confirm these numbers, it appears there is a payout situation that's not being accounted for..." or "Oil and Gas Commission records indicate the spacing in this area is 160 acres encompassing the SE of Section 17. Your records show 640 spacing..."

Another footnote you're glad you read.

§FOOTNOTE (swerved): But not today.

FOOTNOTE (paragraphed): Except the stripey one, which I suspect will suck ass and not show off the stitch pattern at all. I looked right at the word "stripe" at herrschners.com and... I don't know... decided they didn't mean me? Oh, yes. It *says* stripe, but I'm sure it will variegate for me. I am SUCH a dork.

#FOOTNOTE (pounded): Thus:




††FOOTNOTE (ddouble-ccrossed): 'Cause, y'know... sloths are brown.

‡‡FOOTNOTE (doubble-crossssed): Which is, of course, what I did when I read the letter that said Sloth is blue. If you go here, there's a cool thing where you can turn a cow blue.* Click "skip intro."

*FOOTNOTE WITHIN A FOOTNOTE: That is not my cow!

§§FOOTNOTE (Brick House): Not the very last weekend. Not like two days ago, when the Colts beat the Broncos. More like last last weekend when the Jaguars beat the Broncos.

¶¶FOOTNOTE (paragraphs everywhere, but nary a drop to think): For the record, I don't have cookie dough in my freezer just waiting for company. I have Grey Goose in my freezer and it's mostly mine. I just don't want you to be disappointed if you drop by and there are no cookies in the offing.

##FOOTNOTE (pounded like a two-dollar whore): One big one on the front, two little ones on the back. For simplicity's sake, we can just call it Marin's own design.

†††FOOTNOTE (wow. That's a lot of crosses): You can see the calf shaping in the picture. Doesn't it look like I knew what I was doing? Grumperina wants to be me.

p.s. -- Still a knitblog!

No comments: