Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Glitter of a Different Kind

Not the David Bowie kind... not even the Mariah Carey kind.

This is the hallowed, soft, silky, gleaming glitter in the eyes of a knitter who has reached knitterly nirvana and delights in the envy of friends and family; thrower, picker and normal person alike.

[SUMMARY: Happy sigh.]

And sequins. It may have something to do with sequins.^

When I wrung all the photos out of the camera Sunday, I was trying to figure out which order to do all this in -- alphabetical? potential impact? number of photos?%

I opted for "order in which it was received."

So welcome to day two, the second missing package. This one might have been addressed to Blanche du Bois, a product, a it was, of the kindness of a stranger. Well, not stranger in the "unknown" sense, a friend to be sure, but a stranger to knitting.§

Isn't it remarkable what a fresh eye can bring to the stash?

Fabulous Yarns knows packaging is important:




And they do carry fabulous stuff.

[SUMMARY: Duh.]

This is Artyarns Cashmere 5. It's kinda hard to tell, but there's maybe a little more brown in this than the picture lets on.




Ah... there's the brown.




Cashmere, cashmere, soft as angels' wings packed in spring clouds. And I learned something very interesting about this particular cashmere: despite the fact that it looks like laceweight, it's actually wound as five unplied strands to make up a worsted weight.#

Thus:




[SUMMARY: I think we've all learned something here today.]

This one makes me dream at night. And troll Ravelry for hours.†† And guard it jealously when I show it off at Drunken Knitting and never turn my back on it because, y'know, knitters always have tote bags and plenty of pockets to hide a prized skein of yarn.‡‡




Look closer -- you'll see why this particular yarn drove me to new heights of photographic creativity.§§




My neighbours think I'm insane.¶¶

I don't care. I have The Yarn.##


FOOTNOTE (crossed): Sorry, Nathan. I know how you love your Mariah Carey Glitter references.

^FOOTNOTE (careted): Sequins AND beads.

%FOOTNOTE (percented): Best? Favourite? Prettiest? Best pictures? It was like Sophie's Choice until I came up with the very pedestrian "first come, first served."

FOOTNOTE (double-crossed): It works for Comcast, it should work for me.

§FOOTNOTE (swerved): And maybe a little strange (says the black pot). But mostly "stranger" in the sense of "not a fibre geek."

FOOTNOTE (paragraphed): And it just goes to show that good taste crosses genres.

#FOOTNOTE (pounded): Fabulous Yarns also has very patient customer service people who very patiently explained this to me when I wrote to tell them, "I think your yarn is mis-labeled because clearly this is laceweight."

††FOOTNOTE (ddouble-ccrossed): What *am* I going to make with the sequins and beads?

‡‡FOOTNOTE (doubble-crossssed): I'm playing out my own version of The Tell-Tale Heart here, people.

§§FOOTNOTE (twisted): Both yarns (collectively: The Yarn) went on many field trips as I showed them off and photographed them. When I floated the Rogue River for five days, I came away with 900 pictures. When I paraded The Yarn, I ended up with 800 pictures. I have a problem.

¶¶FOOTNOTE (raise your hand if you agree with the neighbours): Insaner. Than they already did. Nobody ever gets close enough for me to explain the blog thing. All they see is me photographing yarn and books on my deck and in the gazebo and in the Carousel Pavilion and they keep their distance.

##FOOTNOTE (the pounding from the floorboards): And the BEATING OF HIS HIDEOUS HEART! That may be funnier in my head than it is here. Y'all are used to that. Go back and look at the pretty yarn if you need to.

No comments: