Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Oh, Baby

You're going to think I've flat lost my mind. Or maybe regained it.

[SUMMARY: Short trip.]

This is just a taste of the fiberlicious wealth yet to come.

A postal update: Thursday, I received the mad-making note in my mailbox saying, "We put a key in your box a LONG TIME AGO and you apparently aren't bright enough to keep track of such things."§

It was signed by my "regular" mail carrier, Jim, who suggested I call him at the post office if I couldn't find the key.

Here's a funny little bit: last Tuesday, in the throes of deprived desperation, I opened the big, we-can't-fit-this-package-in-your-box@ boxes in my bank of mail boxes in a futile effort to find my missing packages. All were empty. All had the keys.

When I talked to Jim on Thursday, I apprised him of this, and we determined three things:

  1. Jim checked the box on Wednesday and was very confused that I couldn't find my packages because they were right there,
  2. Jim, despite being my "regular" mail carrier, hadn't personally placed any of said packages in the overflow box, so he couldn't really vouch for how long they'd been there, and
  3. there were FIVE packages.#

Long, ridiculous story short,†† I got my packages Friday evening and I have yarn and knitting books and all's right with the world. What's more, I think the USPS is now afraid of me,‡‡ because when I was taking Monday off,§§ the doorbell rang and it was a mailman with a box that could easily have fit in the Big Package Box, but I fancy he just didn't want to risk it.

Yay, me. And good for the Postal Service for learning something.¶¶

[SUMMARY: To forgive is divine.%]

Anyway, the packages... the camera... the pictures... same story, different day... eventually, I'll get the pictures on the camera and subsequently get them back off the camera to beam them to a computer screen near you.

For now, please join me in celebrating yet another finished object^:






I know all y'all knitters have seen it before, but there are a few non-knitters that check in here occasionally who might be impressed by the origami## of the Baby Suprise Jacket.†††

And even if that doesn't get you, aren't the buttons just perfect?




I know Showers of Flowers is often reviled by the local knitting community, but they've never been anything but nice to me and they have a hell of a button selection.

[SUMMARY: Send me your poor, your downtrodden, your maligned yarn shop owners...]

I think‡‡‡ I spent more than $30 on buttons for future, unstarted BSJ's.¶¶¶


FOOTNOTE (crossed): Like a heroin dealer trying to reel in a new customer.

FOOTNOTE (double-crossed): Keeping in mind that the test says I'm very low on wrath.

§FOOTNOTE (swerved): OK, it was a little nicer than that, but I haven't quite got all the postal bitch out of my system.

@FOOTNOTE (atted): BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

FOOTNOTE (paragraphed): I'm sure there's a technical term for it, but you know what I mean... the individual mailboxes are fine for flat mail or very small and squishy packages (you can't imagine how creatively I've found sock yarn shipments wedged in there), but they have the larger boxes there just in case.

#FOOTNOTE (pounded): And it's a little embarrassing to complain about missing three packages, only to realise you completely forgot about two Internet shopping interludes.

††FOOTNOTE (ddouble-ccrossed): As my college boyfriend used to say, "Too late."

‡‡FOOTNOTE (doubble-crossssed): My sense of self-worth is not at ALL inflated; I am, after all, a low-Pride kinda girl.

§§FOOTNOTE (smoke... mirrors...): Don't let that fool you -- Sloth is just not my thing.

¶¶FOOTNOTE (even if you have to club them with it): No matter how small or how short-lived.

%FOOTNOTE (percented): Rumour has it I don't get any saint points for washing my own damned car, so I'm going back to the basics.

^FOOTNOTE (careted): Named the NESSIL BSJ: Not Evil StepSister-In-Law [to be] Baby Surprise Jacket. 'Cause, you know, I have an Evil Stepsister-to-be, but this is the wife of my Fantabulous Stepbrother-to-be. She's actually pretty wonderful herself, but Wonderful Stepsister-in-law was Wssil and that just seemed awkward.

##FOOTNOTE (by the numbers): It's a brooch! It's a pterodactyl!

†††FOOTNOTE (only a saint could use this many crosses without bursting into flames. Or Madonna, during the Lucky Star years when she was a little more Like a Virgin.): I was mostly surprised how much I enjoyed the project. Miles of garter stitch and no lace or cables in sight isn't generally my cup of tea.

‡‡‡FOOTNOTE (have I done the "right track" joke here?): *ahem*

§§§FOOTNOTE (the logic will make your head swim): I do have the yarn for them, though, so it wasn't a complete economic stimulus package.

No comments: