Thursday, February 19, 2009

Revelation!

Poor Secret Pal. Her package wasn't even late or missing and she got caught up in the package madness. So here it is, at least a week later and she's finally getting the credit due her.

It doesn't mean I'm any less grateful, just that camera thing. And the chronology thing.

[SUMMARY: Sophie's Choice for Dummies.]

Secret Pal's name is Stacey.^ She didn't tell me which blog is hers, but I'll be sure to let you know as soon as I do.

So let's dig in and see what I've got, shall we?

Yarn, of course. Sock yarn, purple yarn, sometimes at the same time:






There's enough of the Endless Summer for at least a tank or a shell -- eight balls.

[SUMMARY: A good excuse for a trip to Ravelry.]

This, I don't know. I'm thinking this is pet yarn.§






It's handspun by Stacey herself and I could look at it for hours, just watching the colours and the soft halo.

And petting it.

[SUMMARY: Things are apparently a little quiet at Chez Barfly.]

This, I kinda wanted to eat. Almost did. Had to check the label several times to be sure I couldn't.




See? It totally looks like chocolate. Trust me, it smells like chocolate too -- not the slightest soapy smell to the stuff.

[SUMMARY: In which I taste soap. *ahem*]

Allow me to make girl noises for a moment.#

*SQUEEEEE!*




It†† goes perfectly with my calaveras project bags Sylvia made me for my birthday last year.

[SUMMARY: Skulls!]

And, well, there was a little tub of lavender hand cream that I thought I got a picture of‡‡ but I don't see here, and a half-dozen perfumes from the Velvet Moon Bathery§§ that I know I didn't get a picture of because I took them straight to the office so I could play with them.

Suffice to say they have skulls and black ribbons on them and come in scents like "Raven Moon" and "Belladonna."

My gothy little soul is replete with shiny¶¶ blackness.

Thank you so much, Stacey! When you come up for air, let me know where your blog is.

Now I must to werk. These properties won't divest themselves.

[SUMMARY: Promise to miss me.]

XOXO
M

*************

Fracas (original EDT) and Fracas (current incarnation EDT) - Robert Piguet

Marin says%: This is an exercise in compare and contrast. I purposely ordered## both the original and the current Fracas to see what the difference is. And, frankly, if I could even tell a difference.@

Starting with Fracas in general, it's certainly primarily tuberose. With both the original and the current versions, the first blast is TUBEROSE. It only takes a moment, however, for the original and the current version to go their separate ways.

In my limited ability, it seems all the notes are as promised in each, just in different concentrations or perhaps different chemical versions.+

The original softened quickly into a less tuberose-dominant††† melange of white flowers, with a stronger beat of visceral, meaty smell of jasmine. The musk floated up and was noticable.

The current Fracas kept the tuberose front and centre and in the spotlight, but left the musk somewhere backstage straightening the curtains.‡‡‡

After an hour or so, the original had settled very close to my skin, only the musk escaping to flavour the air in my office. Snuffling my wrist, I found a pleasant, rounded§§§ tuberosey thing side-by-side with a soft, sandalwood-orange thing.

By then, the vetiver and the tuberose were having a loud argument on my left wrist, with the jasmine lending something dirty to the fray. And maybe, maybe just an occasional glimpse of an orange.

Maybe that's what the others were fighting over -- the last section of orange.

All whimsy and poetry aside, I'm delighted I could tell a difference between them. I mistakenly told Hans I thought the original Fracas was an early eighties scent -- I think I associate the big, brash part of tuberose with the eighties. Turns out it was introduced in 1948. Knowing all I know, I would say the 1948 version speaks to a softer era. The 2008 version is more rock 'n' roll, with the salty metal of vetiver~ being so prominent and the whole thing staying so loud.

But the flash and tang of tuberose says that the women who wore it in 1948 may have been a good suburban housewife or a well-behaved denizen of the typing pool, but she might have taken a dose of or Malcolm McLaren if it'd been offered to her.

Hans says: The left one is definitely more floral and the right is more... Body Shop. So I'm going to go with the right is more new age.

More floral [flapping one hand], Body Shop [flapping the other].¶¶¶

Robert Piguet says: Tuberose, seductive and lush, combines with Jasmine, Jonquil, Gardenia, Lily of the Valley and White Iris in a lavish profusion of fragile white flowers. A whisper of orange with a base of Sandalwood, Vetiver, and Musk.


^FOOTNOTE (careted): Or possibly Stacy. I forgot to bring the card with me and now I'm even more of a dork than usual.

FOOTNOTE (crossed): *hint hint*

FOOTNOTE (double-crossed): Join me in a moment of twelve, won't you?

§FOOTNOTE (swerved): Though I really want to see how it knits up. How dopey would it be to knit a big swatch, frog it, then continue to pet the yarn?

FOOTNOTE (paragraphed): It really should have a warning label like they put on the silica gel in electronics packaging that says, "This is NOT candy. Do NOT eat this." For, y'know... um... children.

#FOOTNOTE (pounded): If you make girl noises over skulls, it's totally punk. Not at all My Little Pony.

††FOOTNOTE (ddouble-ccrossed): It comes from the Artsy Athina Etsy shop.

‡‡FOOTNOTE (doubble-crossssed): It looks like a little, purple hat box, if that helps.

§§FOOTNOTE (a tangled web): Which I like to think of as Bathory.

¶¶FOOTNOTE (goth clubs... hehehe): "Shiny" is so un-goth.

%FOOTNOTE (percented): It looks like Marin likes to hear herself talk. A lot.

##FOOTNOTE (pounding of his hideous heart! wait... that was Tuesday): Because what kind of scatterbrain would *accidentally* order two of the same thing? Which I didn't. This time.

@FOOTNOTE (atted): I was terrified I wouldn't. Then what kind of review would this be? A much less wordy review, that's what.

+FOOTNOTE (plussed): As per our little perfume education session a couple of weeks ago when I nearly reviewed one of the Fracases (Fracasi?) on its own.

†††FOOTNOTE (whip whip whip): Can't you just see the little tuberose in a PVC corset and stiletto heels wielding a tiny, tuberose-sized whip?

‡‡‡FOOTNOTE (to keep me on track): A very important supporting role, as I can attest from my first year of high school theatre. At least that's what they kept telling me.

§§§FOOTNOTE (ribbony... like this): Because tuberose is not round. No, no, no. Tuberose is like lightning, with spikes and flashes and ribbons -- not sharp, mind you, but definitely not round.

~FOOTNOTE (tilded. I don't think I've ever used a tilde before): And we're back to whimsy.

¶¶¶FOOTNOTE (past present and future): He was disappointed he didn't get them right, but to his credit, he didn't get to smell the rock 'n' roll dry-down.

No comments: