Thursday, April 3, 2008

Dear Mary Kay,

It was lovely seeing you Tuesday evening, even if we had to share you with the motley crew at the bar. I guess that's OK, since you blew kisses on your way out so we knew you still loved us.

Anyway, we've missed you.

I'm delighted you've entered the Ravelry vortex. Let me tell you about my absolute favourite Ravelry time-suck: Friend Activity.

See, if you go to your friends page and click on the "friend activity" tab, you can see what your friends are finishing, stashing and queueing. Since a lot of my Ravelry friends are also blogfriends, I sometimes see divaknitting post her new purse to Ravelry before she posts it to her blog and I feel like a total insider when she does blog about it.

Or I see that KellyGirlKnits queued twenty-seven sock patterns and blackbunny stashed twenty-seven sock yarns and think, "Huh. They should get together."§

Of course, I've added 729 projects to my wish list discovering them through my friends' discoveries.#

Like a good conversation with friends, sometimes I follow one thread to another until I'm happy and educated and entertained... but I have no idea how I got where I got.††

You probably already know this, but I'd be totally remiss if you didn't and I didn't tell you.

Say, "Hi!" to The Professor for me, and tell him it's perfectly OK to cruise Ravelry at work. On your lunch hour. Or during a break. Or when the wind blows from the west.

XOXO
M


FOOTNOTE (crossed): I can spell "queueing."

FOOTNOTE (double-crossed): Thus far, I have refrained from actually commenting on someone's blog to say, "Oh, saw you on Ravelry, dahling... love your hair, hope you win! Ta!" but the day is coming.

§FOOTNOTE (swerved): Also, "Huh. I wonder how many years I would get for mugging blackbunny for her twenty-seven skeins of sock yarn."

FOOTNOTE (paragraphed): 27 x 27 - I did the math.

#FOOTNOTE (pounded): The Sadie sweater is pretty cool. I like those big ribby things on the collar -- I fantasise that they'd make me look like I have shoulders.

††FOOTNOTE (ddouble-ccrossed): cuball35's Sadie to the Berroco Design Team to Harry Bear to 99 projects in Berroco Chinchilla to dctfibers's Buggs-Baby Uggs! to Candi Jensen to Woven Knit Scarf (looks like Stupid Blanket!) to 145 projects in Colinette Prism... oh, that's what that looks like knitted up... wait, where's cueball35?

No comments: