Thursday, August 14, 2008

Gimme Ten

Ten reasons I love the Olympics:


  1. Male swimmers
  2. Bob Costas§
  3. The world record line
  4. Architecture
  5. Technology
  6. Fireworks
  7. The torch#
  8. The Olympic Anthem††
  9. The American Anthem‡‡
  10. Hours of socially acceptable, internationally-supported knitting time§§

*************
Lovely - Sarah Jessica Parker

Marin says: It was pleasant but nondescript right out of the bottle. By the time I'd furrowed my brow and sorted out a couple of impressions, it had changed drastically. From what I remember, the first blush was a sort of green, soapy clean with a light flower to it -- like a soft lily. A woody, kinda smoky scent came up from underneath that pretty quickly.

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but when I smell something very light with a touch of discernable wood and random flowers, it always reminds me of toilet paper. I reiterate: this isn't a bad smell. Toilet paper is pretty gentle and pleasant. But I prefer to smell sexy or mysterious or exotic or... hell, even fruity.

This was basically half of The Perfect Scent. Everything I read on perfume blogs¶¶ indicates this is a much-lauded fragrance.% After all the hoopla, I thought it would be more remarkable.

SJP says: Blossom with exotic patchouli, the perfume of paper whites and creamy orchid. Seduce with sensuous cedar, white amber, sultry musk and woods linger. Sparkle with fresh mandarin, bergamot and radiant rosewood rushing into lush lavender and crisp apple martini.

The Perfumed Court says: ...has notes of mandarin, bergamot, rosewood, lavender, apple martini, patchouli, paper whites, orchid, cedar, white amber, musk and woods.

Hans says: It smells like... water.

Did I mention that it doesn't last long at all? Poor Hans got it an hour-and-a-half in and it really does smell like water.



FOOTNOTE (crossed): Not exhaustive. Not necessarily in that order.

FOOTNOTE (double-crossed): Duh.

§FOOTNOTE (swerved): Remember when Ben wanted to name my breasts Keith and Dan? I suggested Bob Costas to complete the holy trinity.

FOOTNOTE (paragraphed): There's always cool new stuff that comes with the Olympics. It's like the space program used to be, with Tang and space blankets and those astronaut food sticks.

#FOOTNOTE (pounded): Always cool, but nothing will ever match the flaming arrow torch lighting.




††FOOTNOTE (ddouble-ccrossed): I sing along. Sometimes I make up words.

‡‡FOOTNOTE (doubble-crossssed): I tear up.

§§FOOTNOTE (shifty): Note how cleverly I steered this into knitblog range. Speaking of knitting, the back on the Vampirates sweater is done and I'm two inches from finishing the first sleeve. Can I get a world record line?

¶¶FOOTNOTE (how will I hold my little head up?): Used to be every obsession had its magazine. Now every obsession has its bloggers.

% FOOTNOTE (percented): And further adding to my suspicion that I'm not particularly sophisticated when it comes to perfumes.

No comments: