Tuesday, August 19, 2008

I Changed My Mind Again: I'm Running Away from Home

I've been blithely drifting along, secure in the knowledge that Barack Obama will be on the other end of downtown next week, so I'll be unlikely to be caught in a tear gas attack or a fecal fling.

I'd completely blocked how close Civic Center Park is to my office:




Civic Center Park is where Recreate '68 will stage many of their disruptive activities. I'm guessing it's the most likely site for tear gassing.

[SUMMARY: Hoping for winds out of the north.]

That's OK -- our crack office building security team has been practicing turning the HVAC system off and they can do it in under a minute.§

And we'll have total lockdown if necessary to maintain safety and security.§

Never in my life did I want to have to think about this shit.

I'm laying in a supply of Cheetos and vodka in my desk.

Just in case.
*************
Chinatown - Bond No. 9

Marin says: Interesting. It falls somewhere between incense and the candle department at a Hallmark store.

My first impression was, "Christmas," because it reminds me of those bayberry candles so popular with the Yankee Candle set during the holidays. This should be a bad thing, but I actually like it. It starts out a little too Kool-Aid fruity, but mellows into a sandalwoody, floral fruit. I'm thinking jasmine or tuberoseover sandalwood.

Yeah, I should probably hate this, but it's not too bad. It gets more woody as time goes on and it's almost as much cedar as sandalwood -- dry, rather than sweet. I still smell like a new age gift shop a little, but a *sophisticated* new age gift shop.

Bond No. 9 says: Superpower Meets Supercity: The Emerging Superpower Energy with the Avant Garde Cachet of downtown New York. NOTES: Peach blossoms, gardenia, tuberose, patchouli, cardamom#

The Perfumed Court says: A Floriental†† with top notes of peach blossom and bergamot; middle notes of peony, gardenia, tuberose,$ and orange flower; and base notes of patchouli, cedarwood,$ vanilla, sandalwood,$ guaiac wood‡‡ and cardamom.

Hans says: Sweet like... there's something it smells like... potpourri dish! Like fresh-dried potpourri, if that makes sense. Not like a Glade Plug-in, but the actual bowl.§§


FOOTNOTE (crossed): And their brethren and sistren of all ilks.

FOOTNOTE (double-crossed): I'm not being snarky or Republican here. They actually have a sister site to recreate68.com called DNC Disruption 08.

§FOOTNOTE (swerved): Simultaneously horrifying and comforting. On the plus side, we may be able to watch rioters from the locked-down, air-free safety of our own office windows.

FOOTNOTE (paragraphed): Because, while I'm sure jasmine and tuberose are different, I can't tell the difference... maybe I could if they were right next to each other. I dunno. I've never seen them in the same room together. They could be the Batman and Bruce Wayne of flowers.

#FOOTNOTE (pounded): I'm quoting. The capitals are all theirs.

††FOOTNOTE (ddouble-ccrossed): I'm pretty sure that's a semi-technical term, but it sounds gratingly cutesy to me every time I say it in my head.

‡‡FOOTNOTE (doubble-crossssed): What an education. If you put guaiac into Wikipedia, one of the options is stool guaiac test, which tests for fecal occult blood, which sounds like something Recreate '68 might be planning for Civic Center Park. Also? Oil of guaiac was a pre-Renaissance remedy for syphillis. You will never get that question on Jeopardy.

§§FOOTNOTE (turn turn): I'm so glad I work with Hans.

No comments: