Friday, August 29, 2008

Weirdo

TTHFCIF


You Are 50% Weird



Normal enough to know that you're weird...

But too damn weird to do anything about it!



We always suspected.

I'm copping out today. A quiz, a cut-n-paste of a perfume review, and I'm on my way home.

Miss you already.
*************

Red Roses - Jo Malone

Marin says: Wow. Roseroseroseroserose.

Did anybody else have solid perfumes when you were little? Those flat disks of waxy white from Avon in unmistakable single scents? I had rose. It smelled a lot like this.

I've been looking for this rose... so many rose perfumes are rose mixed with a bunch of something (often my nemesis, sandalwood) that renders the rose not a rose, proving a rose by its own name may yet not smell as sweet.

Also? There are eleventy-three kinds of roses. They don't all smell like roseroseroseroserose.

For Jo Malone, this is a really strong scent. Most of her stuff is elusive, designed to be layered and mixed. But this is strong and staying strong.

For all my gushing, I'm not sure roseroseroseroserose is something I want to smell like.

Jo Malone says: Composed of seven types of roses from around the world,§ red roses is a surprisingly clean, voluptuous scent. With a heart of crushed violet leaves and hints of lemon and spearmint, it unfolds like a bouquet of fresh-cut flowers.

The Perfumed Court says: Made of seven types of roses,$ crushed violet leaves, lemon and spearmint, Jo Malone red roses is one of the few lighter, green# rose scents, just beautiful.

Hans says: It smells like asparagus pee. No, wait... roses. Is there a word for when you first spray it on? Tell them it started out like pee, but it changed.


FOOTNOTE (crossed): L'Occitane has a rose scent called Eau des 4 Reines that combines four different roses. When it first came out, they had a station with the four separate rose scents. Every one of them, you'd recognise as rose, you'd call rose... it had never occurred to me how different roses smell within their species. For the record, Eau des 4 Reines smells like baby powder.

FOOTNOTE (double-crossed): It's making me sneeze, for one thing.

§FOOTNOTE (swerved): See? The thing I most think of as "rose" is an amalgam of SEVEN roses. It was probably always that way. I just associate that particular smell with my childhood version of rose.

$FOOTNOTE (on the money!): Ha! Got one! And I'm *so* proud of being able to name rose out of the roseroseroseroserose scent named "Red Roses."

FOOTNOTE (paragraphed): I beg to differ. This isn't just the strongest Jo Malone scent I've tried, it may be the strongest scent PERIOD.

#FOOTNOTE (pounded): Green? Really?

No comments: