Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Secret Pal 12 Question 5

We briefly interrupt our extended coverage of Marin's birthday for this important Secret Pal update:

1) Where is your favorite place to go for vacation/holiday?
2) Where is one place you'd like to go?

1) I have two favourites: New York and Lake McConaughy... for almost opposite reasons.

I love New York City for the energy, the museums, the seizure-inducing glut of available activities and my friends Jeff and Lorree, who are the perfect hosts for how I like to travel.

I love the Lake because it's the only vacation I take where I really vacate. Drive four hours, just me and the Cutest Little Car and the iPod... check into the air-conditioned cabin... beers... random potluck dinner... beers... sleep... breakfast a Junie Mae's... bloody mary... sit in the water... sit in the water... lunch/nap... dinner... sit on the beach... sleep... breakfast at Junie Mae's... bloody mary... sit in the water...

[SUMMARY: Long stretches of slug punctuated by sudden bursts of vodka.]

2) I'm limiting myself on that second question to places I've never been. There's a long list of places I'd like to go back (Oh, New Zealand, how I've missed you...). I think top of my list for new adventures is England. I want to see the home of Shakespeare, Monty Python and William Smith.


FOOTNOTE (crossed): Fortunately, they also think I'm the perfect type of traveller to stay in their guest room, so... y'know -- symbiosis.

FOOTNOTE (double-crossed): Arguably, the Father of Modern Geology, subject of Simon Winchester's book, "The Map That Changed the World." It also happens that book is the reason I'm no longer allowed to pick geology books for book club.

No comments: