Saturday, January 10, 2009

Now We're Cookin' with Gas

You may have already noticed; I have a very broad definition of "tomorrow."

I have really good excuses.

For one, the 50 feet of cable "enhancing" my "wireless" connection became a game of hide and seek yesterday§ and I finally gave up and went to a movie.

For another, I've been home "working" for the last three weeks and, upon realisation that I only had one more day to do fun stuff while other people were working, I finally gave up and went to a movie.

And, well, I've seen four movies in two weeks now:

  1. Benjamin Button was sepia-toned# and it made me cry for about 45 minutes.
  2. Marley & Me was tenser than I had anticipated and [spoiler] the damned dog dies,†† so I cried for about 45 minutes.
  3. Seven Pounds contained about three seconds of lighthearted‡‡ and I didn't cry for 45 minutes, but I did tear up a little and I had a headache from all the heavy.


I needed something with no crying. So I gave up and went to a fluffy movie.§§

[SUMMARY: Apparently, I'm very sensitive.]

But enough about me. Let's see what my friends at Nintendo thinks of me.¶¶

My friends at Nintendo still wants me to use and enjoy my DS Lite.

My friends at Nintendo sent me a Christmas present.

I reacted largely the same way I acted when Kirby hit my doorstep: "Oh, my. A package. A square, white package. Am I expecting a package? It doesn't shake all that well, so it's not, like, a puzzle or a Chinese Checker set. Who do I know in West Hollywood? The address looks vaguely familiar -- do I have an outstanding perfume order. Could this be Luckyscent? No, Luckyscent uses FedEx, not UPS. The box is certainly an interesting size... could it be one of the books I ordered? Or is it too square? Too thin? It's too flat to be yarn. A knitting book, maybe. Did I order a knitting book? Whatever could it be?"

[SUMMARY: OPEN THE DAMNED BOX ALREADY!]

And it was this##:




Not only does it have a cookbook's-worth of recipes, you can search by ingredients, calories, ethnic cuisine... and there are movies. Little movies about how to do cooking stuff like julienning or poaching or how big a dice actually is.

And shopping lists and prep instructions and step-by-step instructions and any time there's a term of art, they have a link you can click to see the definition.

They even have a place you can tell it% things you won't or can't eat and will filter recipes to suit your tastes. Or allergic reactions.

Also?




It has my *name* on it.




For someone who never had much truck with video games,††† I think I've done pretty well for myself.

[SUMMARY: Apparently, I'm influential.]

I'm the luckiest little geek-aspiring girl ever.

*************

Blu Notte - Bulgari‡‡‡

Marin says: There's an astringence at the beginning that smacks of rubbing alcohol, but it's a little different. Unlike a lot of edt's that use an alcohol base, this is sweeter -- almost nutty -- in a way that feels more like a note rather than the second ingredient on the list.

It burns of nearly as quickly as that rubbing alcohol thing, and it's an interesting citrus. Lemon-lime? I immediately think lime, but... remember those bottle caps candies? The ones that looked like bottle cap-shaped SweeTarts and ostensibly tasted like various sodas? This reminds me of the 7Up bottle cap candy. Lemon, lime, more impressionistic than realistic, sweeter than actual 7Up. So not *exactly* lime.

I'm this short, I think. I really like it as a whole, I'm just very caught up in all the individual trees and forgot to tell you the name of the forest.§§§

It's tangy, citrusy and sweet, but not a vanillic sweet or a big, round, amber sweet. In fact, it's just this side of too sweet for my taste -- in a good way. The citrusy part bumps it into an almost spicy range, and there might be the tiniest bit of wood streaming along underneath it all. In fact, it might be sandalwood, what with the sweet and the spice and the wood.

The final wisps have a slightly astringent, powdery thing going on.

The Perfumed Court says: A lush Oriental floral fragrance that is a blend of galangal,$ vodka,$ iris and dark chocolate.¶¶¶


FOOTNOTE (crossed): You would expect no less from me.

FOOTNOTE (double-crossed): Making it a "connection."

§FOOTNOTE (swerved): The *real* yesterday, as opposed to my broad-spectrum "tomorrow" version of yesterday.

FOOTNOTE (paragraphed): There was a time I saw 100 movies a year. I believe I've seen more movies in the last two weeks than I saw in the past three years. There's something very "breakthrough" about that.

#FOOTNOTE (pounded): Both in colour and in mood.

††FOOTNOTE (ddouble-ccrossed): I know, I know, but Brother and I had had the conversation months ago about how nobody ever writes a dog book where the dog doesn't die. I said, "Marley & Me..."

He said, "The dog does too die in Marley & Me."

"You read the book?"

"No, but it's about a dog, right?"

"Yeah, but..."

"So the dog dies."

Since it had been awhile since I read the book, I allowed how's I may have forgotten something, since mostly what I remembered was Marley eating the drywall.

A couple of weeks ago, I recounted to Dad the above conversation.

He said, "Marley & Me... Marley doesn't die."

"That's what I said! OK, Brother is smoking crack."

So when Marley started getting old and slow in the movie and the foreshadowing was beating me about the head and neck, I leaned over to Dad and said, "You told me the dog doesn't die."

"For my sake, I really hope he doesn't."

Fifteen minutes later, I was sitting with my the neck of my hoodie pulled up over my nose, sniffling and scrubbing at my eyes.

"You OK?"

"The damned dog died, Dad."

"You really didn't remember the dog died?"

"You SAID he didn't. I TRUSTED you!"

The moral of this story: the responsibilities of parenthood do not disappear with age. You still can't lie to your kids.

BTW? This may be the longest footnote ever.

‡‡FOOTNOTE (doubble-crossssed): Though, despite the unfortunate plotline (and I mean both the heavy melancholy of it and the sad state of it), had an absolutely stunning acting performance by Will Smith.

§§FOOTNOTE (two reel): With the glut of movies hoping for Oscar noms, I was convinced I was going to have to see the stupid sparkly vampire movie... then the even stupider-looking wedding movie... but settled upward on "Yes Man." Which wasn't great. But probably better than sparkly vampires or slapstick weddings. Though if you see "Yes Man," do what I did: blur your vision and twiddle your mind a little and picture John Cusack in the lead role.

¶¶FOOTNOTE (drums for a rimshot, please): Such an old joke. Didn't stop me.

##FOOTNOTE (pound and pound again): You may have seen the commercials in which Lisa Kudrow makes kung pao chicken with a four-year-old.

†††FOOTNOTE (who needs three joysticks?): Despite being generationally placed at the ideal time to be a video game junkie... I played pinball at the bowling alley after school while everybody else was playing Pac Man and Tron. I know I've told you that story before, but, hey -- I'm old and feeble (I just copped to being bowling alley aged in the naiscent era of video gaming) and will be inclined to repeat myself. Repeat myself. Redundantly.

%FOOTNOTE (percented): Yes, I talk to my Nintendo.

‡‡‡FOOTNOTE (all tracks lead to Rome): Bvlgari Blv Notte, if you prefer.

§§§FOOTNOTE (leaves swirling): Let's call this particular forest "Sylvia." That's really funny if you took Latin.

$FOOTNOTE (on the money!): Once I read what galangal is, I am giving myself credit for 7Up SweeTarts. In my head, galangal TOTALLY smells like 7Up SweeTarts. And I think "deliberate rubbing alcohol" pretty much equals vodka. AND I can't believe I got powder in any form and didn't immediately assume iris. That's just not like me.

¶¶¶FOOTNOTE (truffles on a stick): Wow, did I NOT get dark chocolate. Though that might account for some of the sweet that wasn't vanilla.

No comments: