Monday, January 5, 2009

First Meme in a Brave New Year

I *like* this one.

I am, as ever, aware that a meme is something of a cop-out, but this is one of the best I've seen, so I'm giving myself a pass.

Besides, there's a month's worth of pictures in the camera and you'll get much better blogquality with pictures.

I would like to kick in two little non-meme notes before I head into the land of the highly directed:

  1. I am a *headline*. I wouldn't even mention it, of course,§ only I think you would really enjoy the photos in the post itself,% and
  2. Kim noticed I had the same number of posts in 2008 as 2007. I kinda hope I manage to land on that same number this year, though I fear some version of Heisenberg's Principle^ will taint the results.

1. Where did you begin 2008? Alone, in my chair.
2. What was your status by Valentines Day? Is this a sick joke? 41 years with no Valentine,@ and thanks for reminding me of that.
3. Were you in school anytime this year? Cheerfully, no.
4. Did you have to go to the hospital? Twice, both planned.#
5. Did you have any encounters with the police? Not even an expired plate incident.
6. Where did you go on vacation? The Lake. Just the Lake. It was a pretty staid year.
7. What did you purchase that was over $100? Addi Clicks, a carpet steamer... OK, in 2009 I'm getting a hooker†† or something.
8. Did you know anybody who got married? At least one.
9. Did you know anybody who passed away? Probably more than got married.‡‡
10. Did you move anywhere? No, and I will be buried in the basement of this house.
11. What sporting events did you attend? I somehow managed to miss seeing the Nuggets this year, but I saw the Broncos (bleah), Rockies and Avs. One trip to the Avs was even knitting-related.
12. What concerts/shows did you go to? Rush,§§ Queensryche,¶¶ Mitch Fatel,## Sisters of Mercy.††† Wow. I'm pretty sure I'm not NEARLY as stuck in the geekworld as I sound, given that list.
13. Describe your birthday. It was oddly good. Wholly unplanned, and surprisingly complete.
14. What is the ONE thing you thought you would not do, but did, in 2008? Go back to Stevens Point, WI.
15. What have been your favorite moments? The aforementioned birthday, making friends with my heroes, finding heroes in my friends.
16. Any new additions to your family? Not yet.‡‡‡
17. What was your best month? I'm sure it must've been June.
18. Who has been your best drinking buddy? Bag Lady Katharyn.
19. Made new friends? A few.
20. Favorite night out? The spelling bee.
21. Other than home, where did you spend most of your time? Work. Seriously... a hooker in 2009.
22. Have you lost any friends this year? One or two, depending on how you count it.
23. Change your hairstyle? I haven't cut it all year, so sort of. Does having no style count as a style?
24. Have any car accidents? Not one.
25. How old did you turn this year? 41. After 40, it's all cake.
26. Do you have a New Years resolution? I haven't decided yet. Cheesy waste of time or well-timed opportunity? Baby steps or massive overhaul?
27. Do anything embarrassing? Not really -- mostly because part of the Dork Credo says it's better to laugh with those people laughing at you than slink away with a red face.
28. Buy anything from eBay? The Lion that Saved Christmas.
29. Get married or divorced? Nope.
30. Get hit on? Several times. Yay, me!
31. Been snowboarding? No... and I wouldn't hold your breath on that one.§§§
32. Did you get sick this year? Once or twice.
33. Are you happy to see 2008 go? Ambivalent.
34. Been naughty or nice? All of the above.
35. What are you looking forward to most in 2009? Maybe that hooker...

Found at Ms. Kitty's blog.

*************

I learned something here today: I *really* need to get out more.

*************

Cruel Intentions -- By Killian

Marin says: I'm in love. I thought I loved Black Tourmaline. I thought I loved Black Cashmere.

That was clearly puppy love.

Not only does this flow through an amazing tale of citrus and woods, it stays for more than 24 hours, with the best last breath of any perfume I've ever tried. Where most fade into a similar sweetish vanilla-amber thing, this one is a slightly woody spicy glory that had me waking up to snork my wrists the morning after I first dabbed it on.

It reads as a sort of incense, but not smoky and not too churchy -- must be the wood resins. There's a touch of sandalwood, not enough to get to that headshop place, but just the right amount. Baby bear sandalwood.

This is rich and resinous without being overpowering, round and woody without being bland. It's classic and well-crafted by turns, without being passé. It's spicy without being foody.¶¶¶ It's a dozen things I love and a dozen things I think I don't like, but balanced so perfectly I love it all.

Did I mention I love it?

Hans *has* to smell this...

By Killan### says: A fragrance inspired by the warm, enfolding balsamic notes of Oud, a legendary wood said to be « worth more than its weight in gold ».


FOOTNOTE (crossed): If I don't, who will?

FOOTNOTE (double-crossed): That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

§FOOTNOTE (swerved): Of COURSE, I wouldn't want to brag about the source because it's only Nathan Branch, he of the impeccable taste, the way with words, the photographic genius, the cachet of one who gets Ormonde Jayne in 50ml sample size... *gushgushgush* Juno turned me on to him, Sylvia and Rosie need to read him.

%FOOTNOTE (percented): ...and may happily consider a bunny skull belt buckle.

^FOOTNOTE (careted): The variables being the number of posts and my ability to spontaneously reach that number in a given year.

FOOTNOTE (paragraphed): Which is exactly where I started 2009. I think. Maybe I was at Patrick Carroll's... oh, hell. I just need to get out more.

@FOONOTE (atted): Also, I've never had a boyfriend at Christmas or my birthday and I've never had sex in November. Maybe I've just found the beginnings of a list of resolutions.

#FOOTNOTE (pounded): As opposed to emergent ccare. I think I'd have to get out of the house to earn emergent care.

††FOOTNOTE (ddouble-ccrossed): Gigolo? Is there a better word?

‡‡FOOTNOTE (doubble-crossssed): None of you is allowed to die this year. I need a year without fresh mourning.

§§FOOTNOTE (very twisted): Which just cemented my dorkified, never-ending love of Rush, so marvelous was the concert.

¶¶FOOTNOTE (clubs of the 80s): Still like them, vocals still good, Geoff Tate has no sense of humour about himself, his music, possibly anything else... and I found that a little sad.

##FOOTNOTE (pounding like that vein in my temple): Eh. I thought he'd be better. I still laughed. I did come to the conclusion comedians should refresh their material before they tour.

†††FOOTNOTE (how gothic): Who are unerringly awful in concert and, in fact, use so much fog that one is hard-pressed to swear there are even musicians on stage. Yet, I will go every time I get a chance because it always reminds me of how much I like the music. So I go home and listen to the good versions on my iPod. Besides, some day I'm actually going to see Andrew Eldritch. And for the record, I totally disagree with the linked review about one thing: It was NOT looped. The last time I was them saw almost undoubtedly pre-recorded, but this time it was too *off* to be recorded. Sometimes it sounded like the guitarist was playing one song while Andy was singing another, it was that off.

‡‡‡FOOTNOTE (the tracks of my tears -- have I already used that one?): Dad's engaged. There's a whole stepfamily waiting in the wings.

§§§FOOTNOTE (sssnowboarding): I tried snowboarding once. I took a group lesson with a bunch of six-year-olds with no gravity and no fear and they passed me off to another instructor for one-on-one training (when you're holding the first graders back, you should probably pack it in) and at one point, I actually sat in the snow and beat my little fists on its crust in frustration. At some point, the instructor asked if I was done for the day (it should be noted I was finally sort of getting it sort of) and I said, "yes." So he called Ski Patrol and they TOOK ME DOWN ON A STRETCHER. I considered being embarrassed, but I figured the people watching me hauled down behind a snowmobile didn't know I didn't break my leg, so I took to waving as I went by. Anyway, I'm not all that eager to try snowboarding again.

¶¶¶FOOTNOTE (a kiss or a kick -- either way, it's love): Which is important. A lot of spicy scents smell like cinnamon and cloves and, while I like those smells, I tend to think of them as "better as potpourri."

###FOOTNOTE (3D tictactoe): The By Killian site is cool -- it gives an actual list of ingredients. Check it out.

No comments: