Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Strike of the Secret Pal

Long overdue, but... um... the camera, the stairs, the sun was in my eyes...

[SUMMARY: Excuses, excuses.]




My first package from the auspiciously-numbered Secret Pal 13.%

I did a piss-poor job of photographing, so allow me to narrate:

A skein of Fibra Natura Yummy in colour 41361, some utterly luscious Ghirardelli Twilight§ Delight 72% chocolate squares and a book all y'all knitters recognise.




As is so often the case, the purple on my camera is broken. The in-person purple is much redder and much darker than it looks on my screen.

[SUMMARY: The purple of my prose is as washed out as the purple of my camera.]

This tickles me:




I accidentally forgot to turn my flash off for this picture. Doesn't it look like film noir? Alfred Hitchcock's sock yarn?

Remember The Heathers scarf? How much fun we# had posting Heathers quotes every time we# mentioned it?

[SUMMARY: Good times, good times.]

Just wait 'til I start my Hitchcock Socks.

*************

Jade - Olivier Durbano (Bijoux de Pierres Poèmes)

Marin says: There was a LOT going on with this scent.

The first wave was an unpleasant blast of rubbing alcohol,†† which settled into... well, here's the chat version:*

me: I'm trying Durbano Jade.

Weird -- I can't quite pin down what I'm getting, but I keep thinking "ham."

Perhaps one should not test perfumes on an empty stomach.

Partner-in-Crime: ham? sexaaaay maybe something salty and camelized?

ahem

caRmelized

me: I liked camelized.

P-i-C: you would

me: Oh! I got it! It's pine.

With some mildly sweet woody stuff.

P-i-C: yeah, i totally make THAT leap

ham=pine

me: Once the word "ham" popped up, I couldn't get around it.


Yeah, I crack me up.^

Partner-in-Crime was right... something kinda salty, which I generally get with vetivers and something maple-ish, which could be any number of sweet or gourmand notes. I just couldn't stop thinking "ham" once I got it in my head.‡‡

Anyway...

I got something like lime& and... balsam? cedar? next, then licorice flowing into a sweet watercolour of patchouli,§§ with it finishing at a slightly cinamonny cedar.

As awkward as that all sounds, I enjoyed the entire ride.

Olivier Durbano produces the rock poems¶¶ line, including Amethyst, Black Tourmaline+ and Rock Crystal. This is the fourth. At bare minimum, they intrigue me and make me think twice about turning my nose up at fragrances listed as incense.##


The Perfumed Court says: Olivier Durbano Jade has notes of green tea, star anise,$ mint, cardamom, iris, jasmine, Chinese cinnamon,$ amber, patchouli,$ vetiver,$ moss, musk, immortale, mathé.@


FOOTNOTE (crossed): Of course, any number can be auspicious when you can't count to four.

%FOOTNOTE (percented): For reasons both pretentious and divine, thirteen is my favourite number. You wouldn't have guessed otherwise.

FOOTNOTE (double-crossed): I feel sad for the yarn people who number their colourways instead of naming them. I would be thrilled to come up with a name like "Ice Wine" or "Malbec Splash" rather than 41361.

§FOOTNOTE (swerved): I checked -- It's not related to the stupid, sparkly vampires.

FOOTNOTE (paragraphed): I'm just a little smug to note the manufacturer's website has a photo that, while better than mine, still misses the mark by a bunch of red.

#FOOTNOTE (pounded): And by "we," I mean, "I."

††FOOTNOTE (ddouble-ccrossed): And now that I've read the purported notes, I believe I caught a little twist of mint in that alcohol phase.

*FOOTNOTE (asterisked -- how conventional): Edited slightly for clarity... not for content.

^FOOTNOTE (careted): And I like to think I entertained P-i-C too.

‡‡FOOTNOTE (doubble-crossssed): Oh, yeah? You try not thinking about a pink elephant.

&FOOTNOTE (ampresanded): Whoa! Late-breaking epiphany! I think that lime/not-quite-lime is how green tea reads to me. Filing away for future use...

§§FOOTNOTE (patchouli backpedal): Which is to say, "Not big ol' black, camphor-blasted patchouli." This is is a sort of charcoal grey, mildly itchy sweet woody patchouli.

¶¶FOOTNOTE (the ugly Americans rear their heads): My French is a little off.

+FOOTNOTE (plussed, which is the opposite of nonplussed): I coulda SWORN I already reviewed the Black Tourmaline. Loved it. Gotta post it one of these days.

##FOOTNOTE (pounding like a sitar beat): It's that headshopophobia thing I have going.

$FOOTNOTE (on the money!): See? There WAS a lot going on in this fragrance. I'm intrigued by the notes I missed -- gotta give it another go soon.

@FOOTNOTE (atted): Try as I might, I couldn't find anything to link to "mathé." Do you suppose it's like maté tea?

No comments: