Friday, August 24, 2007

Ladies Who B&N

I saw this on the Discover New Authors shelf at B&N at lunch:




A debut novel, it's apparently about a group of crack sheep detectives solving the mystery of the murder of their beloved shepherd. And, y'all know... sheep... knitblog...

For part of Tallest, Hairiest Nephew's birthday present, Klutz Press Building Cards,§ the build-your-own Hogwarts set.




I also got him a nice novel and a joke book. His parents deserve the joke book after fostering and encouraging the "AntiM as weird obsessive" myth. *ahem*

I got a couple of books for me. Janet Evanovich because a hundred random knitters have told me I have to read her, and Jasper Fforde because... well, because Jasper Fforde is a genius god chocolate-covered package of literary goodness that's too high brow to recommend to just anyone so it has the same exclusivity that makes me *squee* over gift bags and limited editions.

Oh, my. Did I say that out loud? Even the chocolate part?

Seriously, if you're at least kinda up on your classics (Bronte, Austen, Eliot, Dickens, et al), Fforde's books are funny and brilliant, an odd and wholly satisfying blend of science fiction, elaborate puns and literary references that will keep you enthralled.





[SUMMARY: Book. Problem.]

Overheard on 16th Street: two guys you could call Frat Boy and Pakistani Sports Geek arguing about a bungled FANTASY NASCAR trade. The mind boggles.

[SUMMARY: Apu meets Spicoli at the ESPN Zone. The mind boggles.]


FOOTNOTE (crossed): In the review, nobody specified exactly what "crack sheep" are, but I'm guessing it has something to do with stash yarn.

FOOTNOTE (double-crossed): Is too.

§FOOTNOTE (swerved): I got him the space ship building cards for... Flag Day? My birthday? They were fun. Love me some Klutz Press. Have a book problem.

FOOTNOTE (paragraphed): Those of you with children, or have spent time with a child with a joke book understand. For the rest of you, it's the seven-year-old equivalent of listening to your "funny" Uncle Marty try to be funny through the entire family reunion. Before long, you pray for just one bullet, and you're not even sure if you want to use it on Uncle Marty or yourself.

No comments: